Friday, October 7, 2011

The dreaded first sickness under the belt

I have been terrified of Santi's first real sickness since the day he came home from the hospital. What if I don't realize he is really sick? What if he gets sick in the middle of the night? What if he has a fever and I don't know it. Well, he officially got sick and I noticed, we got him to the doc within the hour, he has meds, and he is on the mend. If only it had been that easy though...

I am as blind as a bat. I have had glasses since 2nd grade and contacts since 6th. Last Wednesday my eye started bugging me, but I just thought I had something under my contact. By that evening it was really annoying me so I decided to switch out my contacts since I do on the 1st of the month anyway, so just a few days early. My eye was still bugging me with the new contacts so I decided to wear my glasses Thursday and Friday. Friday night I had to work a wedding rehearsal so I wore my contacts and everything seemed fine. I wore my contacts all day Saturday to work the wedding and my eye was really bugging me by the end of the evening. Im a stubborn person so instead of wearing my glasses like I knew I should, I wore contacts to church and all day Sunday. Then it happened. Sunday night I woke up with some of the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. By 4:30 in the morning I was crying with pain and the lamp in my room only made it worse. Thankfully my mom was able to come over about 45 minutes after Nolan left for work. Of course Santi was up for that whole time. I had to carry him with my eyes closed into the sunny living room so he could play with his toys. I would then go back into my pitch black room (my cell phone light was to bright) and close my eyes...and that was still horribly painful. Anyway....my mom drove me to the doctor at 8:30 that morning and he told me I had an ulcer in my eye. I had never heard of that before. But basically bacteria had eaten away a layer of my cornea. Thankfully the layers grow back and thankfully it hadn't eaten away more layers. I was prescribed eye drops, but sadly all I could take for the pain was tylenol!

My mom took me to her house and put me in a very dark room and helped take care of Santi all day! Bless her!!!

That afternoon we noticed Santi wasn't feeling well. He refused to eat. The kid NEVER refuses to eat. I mean he could eat every hour if I let him. I had noticed the day before he had grabbed at his ear, but wasn't really worried about it because he seemed fine. Within the hour we were able to get him into the doc (yes, with my eye streaming tears and HUGE medical sunglasses...I looked amazing!) Sure enough, Santi had an ear infection. Thankfully he had only had it for about a day, so it wasn't horrible.

The last few days have been really interesting in our house. I had to remember when Santi needed his meds & tylenol and when I needed my meds and tylenol. I had to make a chart...it got too hard. Praise the Lord we are both on the mend. As soon as I can handle outside light a little more I am allowed to wear contacts again! Santi has several more days of antibiotics, but should be over the infection by now. Thank you Lord for modern medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment